Thursday, October 11, 2012

'Grate' To See You...

Hello, and welcome, to my second blog about running the marathon. Not much has really changed since the last/first blog, but for reasons I outlined previously, my intention was always to continue writing even if I had very little to say (some people have the same philosophy about their mouth). It does make me wonder what I'm going include in the blog in a couple of months time when all I'm doing is running every other day. It won't be interesting, either for me or the reader, to see "Went running again" every week, but hopefully by then I should have bursting pus from blisters or the classic bleeding nipples to report. Fun times ahead!

Went to the chiropodist last week, and my feet were nowhere near as bad as I thought. A bit of grinding here, and a bit of filing there, and I'm now the proud owner of feet that as smooth as a baby's...er..feet? Perhaps baby's feet are smoother, I don't know, but you get the idea. The chiropodist also noted that I have very little arch on the sole of foot, so I can now tick off 'flat footed' on the list of things that make for bad running (I've already ticked 'bow-legged' and 'a bit overweight').

I've purchased some running trainers, and as a pre-cursor to the actual purchase I had a gait analysis, which determines which type of trainer you need. Predictably, I needed a pair which straightens up the legs a tad, and I'm sure that anyone who has seen my Rickets-afflicted pins would have guessed that. They weren't exactly cheap either, and what with some of the other bits and bobs I've purchased (such as a GPS watch, and some warm running clothing), one does begin to wonder if the money I've spent on these things would be more functional if I'd have given it straight to the charity. However, I suppose it is for the greater good, and I'm hoping to raise far a greater amount than the cash I've spent on the training, which brings me nicely to....

....the next paragraph. You should be aware that if you are reading this blog (or the previous one), then you are legally obliged to sponsor me with three months worth of your wages. If you do not, then not only will you be not able to read this blog anymore, but you are also very likely to be beheaded. Treason and not-sponsoring-me-after-reading-my-blog are the only two crimes you can still receive capital punishment for, so if you are guilty of the latter then you should probably go www.justgiving.com/james-blackshaw and donate three months wages. Or if not that much, than at least anything you can. As well as the joy you will get from the feeling of no longer living in fear of being beheaded, you will also know that the money you have donated will go towards making life better for someone living with a disease that has a high probability of killing them. Macmillan use money to provide many things to sufferers of cancer, from a listening ear to support from a nurse, and it's only charitable donations which allow them to continue to provide this service. So in the words of old Bobby G......



Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment